Frank Palopoli, who aided fertility with the drug Clomid, dies at age 94

Frank Palopoli, a chemist whose team of researchers invented Clomid, the world’s most prescribed fertility drug for women, died Saturday in Montgomery, Ohio. He was 94 years old.

Clomid from $0.45

The cause was heart failure, said his son Frank.

For nearly 50 years, millions of women have become pregnant due to the relatively cheap drug clomiphene citrate, which the William S. Merrell Company started marketing as Clomid in 1967.

The pill that Mr. Palopoli and his research team on organic chemistry synthesized and patented is now sold generically and under other brand names, including Serophene.

Among women whose only problem with infertility is the failure of their ovaries to release egg cells during the menstrual cycle, up to 80 percent who take the medication usually ovulate and be able to conceive naturally or through insemination intrauterine or in vitro fertilization.

Clomiphene chews the body to produce higher levels of hormones that stimulate the ovarian follicles, causing the eggs to mature and be released into the fallopian tubes.

Clomiphene is on the list of essential drugs of the World Health Organization.

Frank Patrick Palopoli (rhymed monopoly) was born in Pittsburgh on February 19, 1922, the son of Italian immigrants. His father, Francesco, was a steelmaker and a shoemaker. His mother was the former Paolina DiMauro.

Mr. Palopoli’s wife, former Margaret D’Alfonso, died in 2006. In addition to his son Frank, he is survived by three other children, John, Charles and David; One daughter, Mary Albright; 21 grandchildren; 20 great grandchildren; And his brother, Anthony.

Mr. Palopoli graduated in 1943 with a Bachelor of Science degree from Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, where he was a chemist; He served in the Navy during World War II; And he got a master’s degree in chemistry from Duquesne. He joined the William S. Merrell Company (later Merrell-Dow and now part of Sanofi) in Cincinnati as a research assistant in 1950 and retired in 1990 as Global Director of Chemical Development.